Thursday, April 24, 2014

How to add embellishments on regular picture frames




 I am the girl who keeps several picture frames in her garage at a time, just waiting for the next project. Whenever I go bargain hunting, I'm always looking for the most ornate, embellished picture frames I can. But those can be costly and often difficult to find. So I came up with a solution of  how to add embellishments on regular picture frames. And I'd like to share it with you today as a part of the Dollar Store Hacks series.

                   
                              These are the tools you will need to complete this project:



 Step One: spray paint the frame the color you want. Make sure to use several coats until it's completely covered. I chose white to create a more shabby look for my frame. Step Two: lay the beads on a flat surface and cover them with the same colored spray paint. You may need 2 cans to fully coat both the frame and the beads. It also may take several coats to cover the metallic colors of the beads.

Step Three: This comes the tricky part. Once both your frame and your beads are completely painted and fully dried, it's time to combine them. Cut the necklaces one time so that it's just a straight line of beads. Match the beads to the side of the very edge of the frame. Place a line of Gorilla Glue along the edge of the frame.  

CAUTION: Working with Gorilla glue can be tricky. Make sure not to get any on your fingers. It dries quickly and it expands when dry so make sure it's placed where it needs to be quickly and that the beads are straight.

Hold firmly for a few minutes. If there are extra beads, you can put them around the corner or cut them off and join them with another strand of beads. Do this until all the corners are covered.



Step Four: By now your beads will completely cover the frame. Any excess glue that is showing you can peel off. I chose the white color because the Gorilla Glue I used dried white and it was easier to hide. If you chose a different color, I would suggest covering the frame in a third coat of spray paint to hide any extra glue.


And there you have it, a much more embellished frame. For more dollar store hacks check out my dollar store hacks label.

Or you can click and save this for later on pinterest.
Follow my blog with Bloglovin
post signature

No comments: