Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Free Tilly: how an irrational fear turned me into an activist


So, I have probably mentioned a time or two on the blog about my fears. I have only a few great fears in my life, most of them have to do with animals. A lot of times when I tell people I am afraid of snakes, they nod in agreement, or at least sympathize.

When I tell them I am afraid of cats, they scratch their heads but eventually understand- afterall a lot of people are. But it's the third animal that I have a phobia of that often has people rolling on the floor laughing about. I admit, it is a bizarre animal to be afraid of, and not often something people understand.

The truth is, I'm deathly afraid of killer whales. It's sad but true. Last year just driving down the street and seeing a giant Seaworld billboard featuring Shamu sent me into hyperventilation mode, and my husband into hysterical laughter. I mean really, who is afraid of killer whales?


I can trace my fear back to an unfortunate visit to Sea World Orlando I had with my dad and grandpa at age 5. During a shamu show, one of the whales got out of control and had a "run in" with a trainer. I can remember my dad covering my eyes and potatoe sacking me out of the stadium.

Recently I got to talking with my brother about this fear and he looked up all of the instances a killer whale has had an "incident" with a trainer. It's astounding really the amount of them. However, he was quick to point out that there was never any documented proof that orcas have ever attacked a human in the wild. To which I sarcastically countered with "Yeah, because there probably weren't any survivors to come back and document." Okay I admit, perhaps that is too far. Maybe I should give them a little more credit than that.

Recently, the documentary Blackfish has shed some light on the current problem of orcas attacking trainers. Specifically, 33-year-old Tilikum who has been involved in at least 3 deaths. Tilikum is literally my nightmare. What I can't figure out is how in the heck after that many documented attacks they thought it a good idea to collect his sperm and use his DNA to fill their orca population quota? Do they not think that more incidences will occur with genes like that?

While some refute Blackfish and label it as useless slander, it's difficult to argue with that much evidence of dangerous encounters. Yes they are wild animals, yes proper precautions aren't always carried out. But some instances, like Dawn Brancheau, the attacks are completely unwarranted.

After seeing the film, I began to become killer whale crazy. An odd, discomforting desire to research and understand came over me. I began to research an organization I have only rolled my eyes at; PETA. Interesting fact: there are several PETA activists who serve on the board for Sea World, in efforts to change some of it's animal handling practices.

PETA, an organization known for extreme and sometimes ridiculous measures to get their point across, are taking a surprisingly ethical approach to the whole Sea World craze. Instead of wanting to "Free Willy" (bypassing a failed Keiko the whale experiment), they simply ask that Sea World move it's facilities to the coasts where the animals can live in natural water enclosures. It's true that most of the animals born into captivity would not be able to function if set free. But being able to experience the ocean and it's elements would at least give these animals a very very small taste of what their original habitats are like. Perhaps it would allow orcas to not be so violent towards humans, and each other.

And so, after a lifetime of fearing, loathing and generally having a large distaste for killer whales, I have found myself becoming an activist for them. What? How did this happen? How did I become pro-PETA? I have to say it's because of an animal, Tilikum, who both terrifies and intrigues me.


No comments: