Sunday, August 5, 2012

Angry Birds Birthday: How I did it



When Elijah started going ga-ga over angry birds earlier this year, I knew he was going to choose that for his birthday theme this year. So I did what any self-respecting girl would do: I hit up pinterest. I scoured the boards to come up with some fun ideas. I found a really cute idea to make an angry birds real life game. It really was a simple process.




First off, I collected some old boxes from the garage to use as "jenga" pieces. Then I bought a package of green balloons. I got to work prepping the balloons by blowing up each one, and then letting all the air back out of them so that I could add rice. Because it can sometimes get windy in the elements, you want your pigs to remain grounded for the game. I added about a handful of rice in each balloon (no there is no easy trick to not getting the rice all over the floor.) After the balloons were filled with rice, I blew them back up and tied them. I tried to make each balloon a different size, because that's the way they are in the actual game. Then I free-handed faces on them, using a sharpie. I used the point of the balloon as the snout and basically copied coloring books and stickers I had on-hand to finish off each face.




I was originally going to use some tiny bouncy balls, but then I found THIS amazing free printable of angry birds faces.  I decided to take an outside ball I bought at Taget ($5) and used it as the body of the bird. Then I printed out the face, cut it and used 2 thick coats of mod podge on it. It dried in 12 hours and it ended up looking fabulous to finish off the game.



The pinata was a contribution from my brother-in-law who made a fabulous paper-mache pig and then painted tennis balls in red and yellow to look like angry birds. Then we used some old excercising equipment to make a giant human slingshot. It was a raging success.


Ofcourse, a party wouldn't be complete without some food, and I had the toughest time deciding on what to make. I ended up on chicken nuggets (little birds) hot wings (bird wings), and pigs in a blanket. I also included some gummy worms, a box of snackfood (bird feed) and some red vines (pigtails). I printed out the labels on regular paper and put angry birds decals on each one and mod podged them onto the cake pans.



This was the first year that I included some real loot. I found an amazing deal on slingshots ($1 each???!!) and added some bouncy balls to use. I included some squishy balls that had angry bird eyes and some angry bird stickers. It was a total hit with the kids.


I was really surprised with how well it turned out and how inexpensive it really was. Throwing birthday parties gives me coldsweats, but it's totally worth this kid's smile!

6 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

so clever! The balls crack me up! Good job Mama!

imaya said...

Dude. You. Are. Awesome.

Meagan said...

If you lived anywhere within driving distance of me, I would totally hire you 4 times a year.

Jenny said...

What an amazing party, Erin! Looks like it was so much fun!

Unknown said...

Hi Erin,

You did an amazing job. Thank you for the wonderful hints for my son's Angry Bird themed party next Saturday. I have been looking for the launchers to give away in the party bags, however, I can't find anything cheaper than $8 per sling shot. Can you tell me where you purchased yours for $1 each??

Forever grateful,

Mommy in FL
Wendy Starks
wendystarks@live.com
(561) 727-6050

Unknown said...

HI Erin,

Thank you so much for the wonderful ideas for my son's "Angry Bird" themed party next Saturday. I have been looking everywhere for the launchers & can't find them any cheaper than $8 each. May you please tell me where you found the sling shots for $1 ea??

Forever grateful,

Wendy Starks
wendystarks@live.com
(561) 727-6050