Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Flan of a lifetime

So, it's no secret that I am rounding the end of my 20's. Even young people have bucket lists and mine is to go to Disneyland. I know it sounds CRAZY. But I've never been. Sure, my parents took me to Disneyworld when I was 6 months old. They tell me all I did was sleep. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count as actually going to Disney.

Ever since I met Tim, he's been trying to move heaven and earth to get us there. Constantly plotting, scheming and devising ways to make my dreams come true. That's when I came up with the term "Flanning". To Flan is to make a fake plan. You look at airline tickets, and hotels, you talk about the cost of gas, you rent vacation package DVD's and you do everything but hit the BUY button.

Then, things happen. Like: You spend all your honeymoon money on a scam and never get it back or you move across the country, you find out you're pregnant, or you have to buy a new minivan, or your drier and your dishwasher break at the same time. And somehow, one year, bleeds into three years, which doubles into 6 years. And before you know it, you've been Flanning for ten years and you've never done anything about it.

This year, we decided that 2011 was the year of Disney! Meaning: No more flanning, no more things getting in the way. It was going to be me and him and nothing but Mickey, Donald, Goofy, Buzz and Woody! We have a date on the calendar, and we have a date tonight to actually click the BUY button..for the first time EVER. I wish I could describe in words what this means to me. How amazing it feels, and how badly I need it. I think I'm gonna cry everytime I take a picture with a character, or go on a ride I've only seen in a commercial. Pretty much every picture of me is gonna be crying. But I don't care. It's time for this 29-year-old to slip back into her 4-year-old shoes and live the dream that childhood forgot.




So Disney- I hope you're ready for me... cause here I COME!

6 comments:

Tracey Jacobsen said...

yea for Disney!!! :) (It really is the happiest place on earth... update us soon!). :)

And does it make you laugh that I initially thought you were going to tell me about an amazing Mexican custard?

imaya said...

I love the term "Flanning" may have to steal it.
I am so happy that you are getting to go. I haven't been since I was a kid, but good gracious it truly is the best place ever. I can't wait to hear all about it and see the pics. BTW you are seriously the cutest kid ever. Look at all that sass!

Maribeth said...

I don't think I can even begin to express how I feel to be part of your first ever Disney trip... words cannot describe... CAN. NOT. WAIT.

Sarah May said...

I thought this was going to be about home made Flan or something similar. Love the term "flanning"... fun!

I am jealous of your Disney vaca! That is awesome! I know it will be the best trip ever!!!

The Ramsey's said...

Ah, I'm so jealous!! Disneyland is the reason Matt and I are having a kid-so we can relive it though our kid's eyes--JUST KIDDING!! But, seriously-how fun!! Your boys are gonna have a blast! Can't wait to see the puffy, red-eyed pictures!

Anonymous said...

First of all.... CUTEST PICTURE OF YOU EVER!!! Second, I am so excited for you I could do cartwheels!!!