Tuesday, March 10, 2009

You sir are no Conan O'Brien

I have been a Conan O'Brien fan for most of my young adult life. There is just something about his charasmatic personality that draws me to him. Even though sometimes his gags can be a bit over-the-top, I still loved his quick-whittedness. So naturally, I was sad to hear he was leaving late night to do the Tonight Show, especially when I heard who his replacement was.

Now I love me a good "Weekend Update" with Jimmy Fallon, but I have to admit I was a bit skeptical about his debut as a late night host. I mean, how good can you be without a team of comedy genius writers? But, I thought I would give it a test run. So all last week I did my best to keep my mind open (as well as my eyeballs) to Jimmy's new show.

My Review: I want those 5 hours of sleep back. 
Jimmy was awful. His jokes were lame, and nobody laughed at them. His delivery was way too dry, and his sketches were uncomfortably un-funny. His guests seemed to be the only people that could get a laugh on his show. People like Cameron Diaz, Justin Timberlake, and Tina Fey who really just re-enacted old Saturday Night Live gags. Hey, at least they were funny, even if they were 8 years old.

One thing I will say that I liked about the show? It introduced me to the band "The Roots" whom I had never heard before. Their soulful take on the traditional late night music was a welcomed breath of fresh air. I was digging the beats they were throwing down. I have even created a Pandora Radio Station inspired by them- it's pretty funky.

All-in-all I can say with certainty that I am NOT a fan of Late night with Jimmy Fallon. So much so that I would be more inclined to watch HGTV re-runs. You sir, are no Conan O'Brien.

No comments: