Friday, March 13, 2009

This world has nothing for me, and this world has everything.

Remember that song by Caedmon's Call? I find myself humming it today, as it is exactly how I feel. 

Tried out Nor-Cal gymnastics today and was taken aback by their rules and regulations about open gym. Had a bad experience with an employee who was less-than-compassionate about Elijah's physical limitations.

It's kind of frustrating when people don't understand or rather are not willing to understand what life is like for a kid with a disability. Not that I'm asking for special treatment. I guess I just think if we have to always get the constant gawking, and questions about the giant blue cast on his arm, can't we at least be able to go to open gym and not run into problems?

It just urks me that the world touts such PC standards, when really it's not built for people who are different.

So I am listening to Caedmon's call, and trying to forget about it.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Sorry about your crummy experience, Erin. If life teaches you anything it's that you just can't expect that much from people in general. It's a rather sad way to look at the world, but I admit that I do. It certainly keeps you from getting disappointed in how rude and inconsiderate people can be.

On a more positive note, it's funny that you should bring up Caedmon's call, and that song in particular. Debbie and I have been listening to a few songs off of "40 Acres" that we're thinking of doing for special music. And which would those be? The one you were just singing and "Shifting Sand". Pretty funny, huh? Maybe you should join us ... it would be like old times :-)