Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The really terrible Christmas idea


This year I wanted to start some Christmas traditions that specifically involved my son. I chose to do an advent calendar. Growing up, I remember the anticipation of each day getting a new chocolate treat. I can remember getting closer and closer to Christmas with each bite. It was a great tradition that I really wanted Elijah to experience.

What I didn't think about: this particular tradition teaches the virtue of patience. While this is a great thing to learn, it is totally lost on a 1-year-old.

I missed the first couple of days and so by day 4, he got to have 4 chocolate pieces. This suited him fine. Until the next day when he only got 1. A fit of rage ensued. Suddenly there were frantic little fingers clawing at me, trying to take the advent out of my hands. Once he realized he was only getting 1 today, the screaming began.

So much for Christmas traditions.






1 comment:

JohnMichaelHinton said...

Now that i'm married i only get half a bite of advent chocolate. I agree with Elijah! :)