Friday, September 5, 2008

I pledge allegiance


After watching both the Republican and the Democratic National Conventions, I find myself hopelessly deadlocked. One candidate wants our country to change, and I believe in change. But at what cost? And at the end of the day, when all the programs are instilled, the troops are pulled out, and the tax money is spent, will we really be any better off?

The other candidate isn't really promoting too much change. Mostly just things we want to hear like that the whitehouse will somehow be so much different with the same party in it, just a different leader sitting in a chair. But will that solve all of our nation's problems?

So what do we choose.... change with an uncertain future, or 4 more years of nothing new?

It's days like this that I am so glad that I serve a God that is bigger than politics.
Derek Webb wrote some profound words on this subject, I think he says it best:

There are two great lies that i’ve heard:
“The day you eat of the fruit of that tree, you will not surely die”
and that Jesus Christ was a white, middle-class republican
and if you wanna be saved you have to learn to be like Him.

My first allegiance is not to a flag, a country, or a
man

My first allegiance is not to democracy or
blood

It's to a king & a kingdom


No comments: