Sunday, August 17, 2008

MY MIDWIFE, MY FRIEND

Ever had one of those weeks where nothing goes your way? And all you wanna do is crumple on the floor and cry? Well, that's where I was on Thursday night. On the floor crying, when my hubby brought in a package I had gotten.


I opened it up and found this:



A lovely bundle of brand new scrapbooking material. It was from my friend Bethany in Georgia. I couldn't believe how well she knew me, and what perfect materials she had picked out to inspire me.

FUNNY STORY ABOUT HOW I MET BETHANY:
Bethany delivered Elijah.
I got to know her (rather intimately) each week during my check-ups. We would get to talking about things and when I would talk to her I would forget that there was goop on my belly and we were supposed to be listening to a heartbeat. I can remember not knowing if she would be in the delivery room with me, because there were several people on call. When I first went into labor, I had a different midwife... which I was so bummed about. Fortunately though (I guess you could say fortunately anyway) my delivery lasted longer than her shift. And at 8am Bethany came in through the door. I told her I held that baby in waiting for her!
I couldn't have dreamed up a better person to help me through that difficult time.
And she was the first voice I can recall hearing when I woke up in the recovery room.

After that I would look forward to seeing her during checkups. And I have to say, who ever looks forward to checkups? She always seemed to be excited to see me too. But I figured she had a million patients, and she was probably just being nice.

When I went through some post-partum issues and was at my lowest, Bethany was there. We chatted, hung out. It was a real highlight for me during those dark days. I don't know what I would have done without her. I mean, it's amazing when you can not only have a friend that can talk through your issues with you, but also has the power to perscribe medicine :)

About a week before I moved, I got to see her giant scrapbook room. I salivated as I poured through all of her books. I was so bummed to have finally made a connection with someone only to have to move right afterwards. Fortunately, we don't let that get in our way. I am so blessed to have her in my life.

It just goes to show you can make the most incredible connections, the most intimate friendships in the most unexpected places.

No comments: