Wednesday, May 28, 2008

ONCE

So I finally got around to watching the movie "Once". I had heard it's Oscar-winning song and really enjoyed it, so I thought I'd check it out. I am still reeling from it.

The story felt so familiar to me. Not the plotline, but the feeling you get when you connect with someone on a level nobody else can ever understand. There is nothing like the feeling of total creativity and chaos and beauty that connects two people who make music. It is a bond that can never be explained or duplicated. But it was so beautifully captured in this movie.

As a musician, I have had the priveledge of sharing that connection with many people over the course of my short years. But really, it just reminded me of the moment when I saw a man for who he truly was; uninhibited and uncensored and fell absolutely in love with him.

I met him when I was 18 years old, and silly. We so happened to be in a musical group together. We would wave to eachother when we passed by, and occasionally share a joke or two. I thought he was a great guy, and had potential to be an excellent friend. But then one day, out of the blue really, I sat and watched him play the guitar. There wasn't a big band behind him, he didn't have a microphone or a monitor. He just sat and played and sang a song. Though it was the first time I had ever heard the song, it wasn't the tune that stunned me, it was the passion coming from the voice that sang it. He was so alive and unabridged just singing his lungs out. I felt like I could see right through to his heart, and it was truly endearing. That's when I saw him differently.
That moment.

As the months progressed, I began to form a bond with him through playing and singing.
Our voices were so tightly knit together, you could scarcely tell one from the other. We could instinctively feel eachother's next move in each song, predicting where the other was going. It was through that bond that we fell in love.

And it is through that bond that I found my soul-mate, my best friend, my musical accomplice.

Don't forget the music baby.

No comments: