Thursday, May 15, 2008

COLORING THOUGHTS

Remember when life was as simple as coloring in the lines? Today I spent the afternoon with my good friend, 2-year-old Chloe. We laughed and played and spent time coloring in her sesame street coloring book. I found myself amazed at how into it I got. I picked each color carefully, spent time coloring each little line. And long after Chloe was bored and had moved on to another toy, I continued to color.

I thought that there must be something to this, because it was so relaxing. All my cares melted away into the colors of the page. And I wondered if anyone saw me coloring by myself, what they would think of me.

I personally think it could be very good therapy to help make a stressful day go away. I imagine I could bring it into a meeting where I was being fired, and as long as I was coloring, I probably wouldn't even notice. I know I definitely wouldn't care. Or getting sideswiped by a road-rage vehicle, I would just stop on the side of the road and take out Ernie for a bit, and I would be content.

My point is, what would the world be like if we all just carried around a coloring book and crayons with us everywhere we went? I think... probably a lot happier.
But because I don't think that's a very realistic request, and because if anyone saw a 26-year-old woman on the floor coloring they might just put me in a straight jacket, I will keep this happy thought to myself (and the 12 people that read this).

3 comments:

JohnMichaelHinton said...

So coloring = Prozac
Got it! :)

there's has to be some cleaver way to say put down the drugs and pick up the crayons. :)

Jenny said...

Oh Erin, we've gotta have a coloring date. I couldn't agree more- it's the most relaxing thing ever & my kids are always "done" way before I'm ready to put the crayons away. :)

Erica said...

My sister's and I have sister night. We watch a movie that we all have watched and love. We go out and buy one of those huge posters that you color and color all night. It is so much fun. You should try it with a friend.