Monday, December 18, 2006

Breaking the news

Telling our parents was the most important first step. We told Tim's parents first- asking them if they were going to visit us this August they of course said they probably wouldn't be able to. We then said "You better cause that's when your grandchild is coming!" They were almost in disbelief... it took a little convincing, but they were pretty happy about it.
Since I live near my parents, I wanted to do something special to let them know. My mom has this "thing" about special Christmas ornaments. She gives us one each year to symbolize something we like doing, or enjoy. And each year when we put the ornaments on the tree, we recall the year we got them; how old we were, what we were doing, etc.
So this year I decided to make them an ornament. I bought a plain gold ball and wrote: "You're going to be Grandparents" on it. Then I wrapped it up and took it over to their house. I insisted that they open it immediately and my mom hooted and hollered, my dad just slyly grinned. I guess that my mom had been secretly wondering (since I am sick EVERYDAY) but hadn't dared to ask me. They hung it on the tree and had my brother and sister each come look at this "new ornament" Erin got them.
We all enjoyed the evening together and it was a real fun time. I am planning to tell the rest of my family on Christmas day..... details to follow !

No comments: