Monday, April 7, 2014

Diary of a freelance mom


A friend of mind recently said to me "Boy, it's like you lead two lives" And I have to say that lately, that's felt very true.                                                                                       
  I've really had the opportunity to travel a lot for work. It's junket season and with that comes first class flights and fancy hotels. But I have to say, for a mom that does dishes and laundry most days, it seems like such an out of body experience.


I've been getting a lot of questions  about what I do. The short answer is: I'm a freelance writer. It's a slow process but it's been rewarding to build my resume as things come up. I've been able to screen movies and interview actors and directors. I've had the chance to write reviews and features for a few publications. I've been able to see sights and truly spread my wings and I've enjoyed every minute of it. But when I'm away from my kids it also feels like a huge part of myself is missing. I so enjoy being able to talk about media and writing and social issues with my fellow writing community, but I also just as equally love talking about First Grade book fairs and the funniest thing that Noah said last week to other like-minded parents.

Maybe that's why I love this blog so much, because I can share everything with you. There are so many pieces to my life, so many interests and passions and causes that I have, there is no way in this little ADD brain of mine that I could ever contain my thoughts to just one subject, or my passions to just one page. I'm a mom, first and foremost and my favorite view is not the most amazing city skyline (like this one from this last weekend in Beverly Hills):
 No, my favorite view is still this one. At home cuddling next to my sleeping children and being a part of their everyday life.

I'm still trying to figure out how to bounce from thing to thing and maintain a sense of balance and order. And while I'm confident I may never know balance and order in this chaos I call life, I sure am glad you're along for the ride.
post signature

1 comment:

Christa said...

LOVE this post, Erin. :) And I'm thrilled to pieces that you've been having so many fun freelancing experiences. Now we need to junket at the same time. :)