Friday, March 6, 2009

Ode to a friend on a very special day


This is my good friend John. I met him when I was 18 years old.

I've had the priveledge of growing up with him. I've watched him fail miserably, and succeed triumphantly in various stages of his life. I've seen him cry, I've seen him laugh, I've smelled his farts and witnessed his horrible temper when he loses a game. John is for all intents and purposes my brother.

I love that he considers Tim and I his family. I love that he was there on our first date. I love that he has brought all the girls he has ever dated to our house for "closer inspection". I love that he found Maribeth... and that we love her so much. 

I will always kick myself for not being able to be there for his wedding, or to see him walk at graduation and finally get that diploma.

Today, John Michael Hinton called me to tell me that he is taking his beautiful wife to the hospital where he will become a father for the first time. I am beaming. I am so proud of John for who he has become. I can see that he is ready for this new stage in life, and it's so neat to see it unfolding. I know that Charity isn't really my neice, but I have the excitement that an aunt would have; waiting with baited breath for any news of her birth.

A real sister could not be prouder of her brother right now. Congratulations John, welcome to fatherhood!

2 comments:

JohnMichaelHinton said...

ok sis,
so both of us cried! thank you for your sincere words. i love you so much. We both need to plan a trip to sac so you can meet your niece! We love you both!

Anonymous said...

Erin - You ARE "for all intents and purposes" Charity's aunt! So while it may take her a little while to understand that she has two Auntie Erin's ...we want you to be in every way a part of her life and growing up.

Thank you for posting this about John. I cannot describe to you the love and pride that I have growing for my husband as I have watched him in this last week take to fatherhood. It is like watching a little miracle unfold.

I greatly anticipate when our families will reunite again and we can grow even closer as we now all share this adventure of parenthood. ...Love you, Erin!!