Friday, November 9, 2007

Dorm Life

So, it's been about 4 years since I've lived in the dorms... 4 long and wonderful years. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the 3am crisis chats my roomates would have with me, and the ability to borrow clothes from everyone. But, I have since enjoyed my personal space and peace and quiet.

The last 3 years we have been living in a house in a quiet, retirement, neighborhood. We kept our distance, they complained about us not mowing the lawn... it was nice. Then we settled back into Redding and decided that in order to stay on budget we would need to live in a townhouse.

It wasn't until day 2 of living at our new home that I realized there are supreme advantages to living in a house. Namely- noise pollution. In the past 3 weeks I have enjoyed endless hours of deathmetal and domestic disputes. Falling asleep to the soothing sounds of cabinet doors slamming and people running up and down the stairs. Banging on the wall has not helped, nor has yelling through it. And just this morning as I settled in for a nap I was delighted to hear the base-thumping sound of ghetto rap.

This led me to my dormlife experiences. What did I do when I was awakened from slumber then? Well, the girls in my hall were very fond of running around in only high heels and underwear screaming at the top of their lungs. In order to get them to stop, I finally (out of desperation mind you) found the biggest high heels I could, put on some skimpy underwear and walked into their room, asking them ever-so-nicely to be quiet. The sight of me alone was enough to send them into quiet mode for the rest of the semester. Because hey, if you can't beat 'em... join 'em.

Then I thought about how I could put that into practice with my neighbors. Surely waltzing over and ringing the doorbell in black lacy underwear would be effective but... would probably send them the wrong signal. So, I guess I am resolved to put up with the noise-level until I can figure out some other method to grab their attention.

Perhaps putting a dead fish in their air conditioning ducts?

No comments: