Friday, August 26, 2011

A Pinteresting Blog

My sister was here for a few weeks and made an interesting observation: "You're always doing a project". I thought about this statement for a minute, and I realized, I am in fact always busy doing something. While she was here, I made a bow holder for Olivia's room, redecorated the boys room, made a photo collage frame, re-organized both bathrooms, made a welcome to motherhood scrapbook for a friend, and made some cute new flower clips for Liv's hair.

To me, that's a normal week. I guess I never realized that to other people, it isn't. I live for projects. Organizational ideas, restoration, design, and crafts. It ALL interests me. And here's my little secret: I'm really NOT crafty. I can't really sew, or paint amazing pictures. But I like to try new things and challenge myself. Because I want to be the mom who does cool projects with her kids, and always has something amazing in her backpocket.

One MAJOR influence on me lately has been Pinterest. An online pinboard just full of good ideas. Some I collect and think "Hmmm... that's nice" others, I actually try out. So I'd like to start a blog series all about good ideas I find on Pinterest. The failures and the successes. It's going to be called: The Pinterest Challenge. And THIS is my first posting.

Idea: Take dollar store frames and put scrapbooking paper inside them and use as wall decore.


Execution: I had an EXTREMELY blank wall in my bathroom, and I happened to have some old dollar store frames. I painted them a dark brown color (to match the shower curtain) and found some unique scrapbooking paper. While it's not the best picture I have ever taken, I assure you, my bathroom looks waaaay better.
SUCCESS
Idea: Make cars out of cardboard boxes to create a drive-in movie night. Execution: Trusting my 4-year-old and 2-year-old with markers is not something I could do. And the thought of taking the time to glue construction paper that Noah would rip off the box as a fun "game" was not at all appealing. However, I still thought this was a cute idea. So I took 2 boxes and a permanent marker outside and let them give me their creative input on their cars. Elijah wanted an awesome sound system. Noah wanted a nice license plate, and to make sure there was a door. I put it in front of the TV, gave them each a bag of popcorn, and let them enjoy Finding Nemo at the drive-in theatre. They LOVED it!
TOTAL SUCCESS!
I am really loving the ideas this website is giving me, and the memories it's allowing me to make with my kids. I am looking forward to the fall season and all the interesting projects it brings!


4 comments:

The Greenfields said...

very cute. i saw the drive in idea on pininterest and loved it. my cousin is trying to get me into pininterest but i am too afraid it's going to be too distracting for me. we'll see, i do love some of the things i've seen on there. love your scrapbook paper idea also.

imaya said...

Seriously, I could of written this word for word. In fact for a moment there I thought you entered my brain and took my words right out. Motherhood has brought out a crafty, artsy side to me that I never knew existed. I NEED the mental stimulation it brings, I LOVE the sense of accomplishment I feel. Pintrest FEEDS the addiction like no other. Awesome post, and awesome projects.

Tracey Jacobsen said...

such great ideas! :)

Steiger would love to join your boys at the drive-in... I know. :)

Dave said...

Erin - what's with this "not crafty" talk? Obviously, you are quite crafty, as anyone can plainly see from your post(s). You sound like Debbie. She says she's not crafty at all, but I know she could be if she had a few good ideas to get her started.

Love the drive-in movie idea. What a great idea. The boys will at least grow up having some idea of what a drive-in movie is all about :-)